Broken Light Bulbs

Hazardous Waste Put in Garbage Cart/Bin

Incandescent and Halogen lightbulbs – either broken or intact – go in the garbage.

Fluorescent tubes, bulbs, CFLs and LEDs – also broken or intact – should be disposed of through the County Household Hazardous Waste Program.  


Fluorescent Bulbs Are Hazardous Waste

Never throw fluorescent bulbs in the trash because they contain mercury. Before cleaning up this type of broken bulb, air out the room for 15 minutes. Next, scoop pieces into a container and store it outside until you can dispose of it as Household Hazardous Waste.